Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

Los Angeles Family Separation Immigration Lawyer

Home     |    Los Angeles Family Separation Immigration Lawyer

Los Angeles Family Separation Immigration Lawyer

The United States offers the opportunity for just about anyone to come chase the “American dream.” However, the country still has strict immigration laws that need to be taken into consideration by those looking to live here. Unfortunately, being unaware of these laws or not fitting the requirements can put immigrant families at risk of being separated at the border. If you or your family become separated while trying to immigrate, it is essential that you contact a lawyer who can help you reunite.

Los Angeles Family Immigration Lawyer

Here at U.S. Law Center, we have worked for years to help our clients achieve their immigration dreams. We know that the decision to move your family can already be scary, let alone when you have to face issues at the border. Sadly, over the past few years, an increasing number of families have been separated at the border when trying to immigrate. That is why our Los Angeles, CA team is devoted to representing those seeking freedom here in the United States. No family should be separated to discourage them from moving. Our team at U.S. Law Center is prepared to fight for your rights.

What Can Cause a Family to Be Separated at the Border?

A family may be separated at the border under a variety of circumstances, including:

  • One or more individuals do not have the proper documentation to stay in the U.S. (i.e., a green card or visa).
  • One or more individuals have proper documentation, but they also have a criminal record that must be investigated.
  • A family is applying for asylum at the border.
  • An individual attempted to cross the border illegally.

What Is a Family-Based Green Card?

A family-based green card is a type of legal document that allows eligible individuals to stay in the U.S. so that they can join their relatives. For a family member to be eligible, they must be a close relative of the individual looking to come to the U.S.

Close relatives include:

  • Spouses
  • Children
  • Siblings
  • Parents

However, this excludes extended relatives such as:

  • Grandparents
  • Cousins
  • Aunts
  • Uncles

If an individual receives their family-based green card, they have the legal right to live in the United States permanently.

There are multiple types of family-based green cards and visas you and your family may be eligible for. The right kind can help give you the proper documentation needed to cross the border. If you have close relatives already living in the United States, you and your family may be able to apply for:

  • Visa for an individual who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen
  • Visa for unmarried children who are under 21 and have parents in the U.S.
  • Visa for children going to be adopted or for children already adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen
  • Visa for the parents of individuals who are at least 21 years old and citizens of the United States

Why You Need to Work With an Immigration Lawyer

If you and your family are looking to move to the United States, you must be aware of the different laws required to come here. This can allow you to avoid any potential issues at the border. However, we know that sometimes these issues can be unavoidable.

At U.S. Law Center, we are aware of how difficult immigration cases can be, especially if you do not have the right documentation. That is why we offer our services to individuals and families who may get stuck at the border.

We understand just how intimidating these situations can be. Our lead attorney is fluent in multiple languages and can travel to the border when needed. If you and your family become separated, it is crucial that you seek the legal help you need. We can protect you and your children’s rights when trying to immigrate.

FAQs About Los Angeles Family Separation Immigration Laws

What Is a Green Card?

A “green card” is a legal document given by the U.S. government to foreign citizens. This gives them the right to lawfully live in the country permanently. Green cards can be awarded for a variety of reasons, including work and family. However, they are required to be renewed every 10 years.

How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a Green Card?

The total cost of applying for a green card or visa is determined by the number of petitions you must file and the type of visa you seek. For a family-based green card, the fee is around $1760 per applicant. An experienced immigration attorney can help you determine which type best suits your needs.

Do You Need a Sponsor to File for a Green Card?

Yes, especially if you are filing for a family-based visa. If you want to apply for a family-based green card, you will need to have one of your close relatives file an immigration petition sponsoring you before you can do so. They can also contact an immigration attorney to assist you with the process.

What Is the USCIS?

USCIS stands for United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. This agency is a primary part of the country’s Department of Homeland Security. USCIS is in charge of all legal immigration to the United States. It works to enforce the requirements for entering the country lawfully. This agency also issues green cards.

Should I Bring a Lawyer to an Immigration Interview?

While it is not legally required to have an immigration lawyer at your interview, it is allowed and can be beneficial in multiple ways. Working with an attorney beforehand can help you better prepare for the interview itself. Additionally, they can also ensure that your rights are represented and protected when the interview actually takes place.

Family Separation Help for Immigrants in California

If you and a loved one have been separated at the border, you should find a qualified immigration lawyer as soon as possible. We at U.S. Law Center are always ready to take on new cases. We fight to protect the rights of our clients and their families. No family should be separated, especially under unclear or unfair circumstances.

If you are having trouble at the border, or your family was separated, contact us immediately at U.S. Law Center to learn more about how we can assist you today.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation