Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

Los Angeles Adjustment of Status Lawyer

Home     |    Los Angeles Adjustment of Status Lawyer

Los Angeles Adjustment of Status Attorney

Los Angeles Adjustment of Status Lawyer

When you are not a registered citizen of the United States, there are certain laws and requirements you will have to follow to be a legal resident. These immigration laws only allow foreign citizens to live in the country legally for a temporary period. However, they can file to adjust their status. By adjusting your status, you can apply for a green card that allows you to have permanent legal residency in the U.S. Whether you want to become a full United States citizen, or you are looking to live and work here permanently, do not put off seeing how we can help you adjust your status.

U.S. Law Center: Immigration Law Professionals

At U.S. Law Center, our team is devoted to helping individuals and families around Los Angeles and the rest of California achieve their immigration dreams. We know just how complicated changing your status can be and how many obstacles you will have to overcome. This is why we offer compassionate, quality legal help for these types of situations. At our firm, we welcome clients from all over the world. We are dedicated to helping you find a solution to your residency issues. With years of experience, vast knowledge of immigration law, and a commitment to each and every one of our clients, our team at U.S. Law Center can assist you in your adjustment of status today.

What Is the “Adjustment of Status?”

When a foreign citizen requests to change their legal status in the U.S., the process for doing so is called “adjustment of status.” In most cases, an individual is requesting to change their status from a visa holder to a green card holder. A green card gives any foreign citizen legal permanent residency in the United States. This allows them to work and live here if they choose.

What Is the Process of Status Adjustment?

To apply for an adjustment of status, you’ll have to follow these general steps:

  1. Determine Your Eligibility: The first step in the process of changing your status is checking to see if you are eligible for a green card. There are a variety of ways an individual can be eligible. However, you must ensure that you are indeed eligible before you can apply for permanent residency.
  2. You or Another Individual File an Immigration Petition: In most cases, you need to have a family member or friend file an immigration petition for you. This is referred to as “sponsoring.”
  3. File I-485 (If Applicable): If you are already living in the U.S., and are eligible to adjust your legal status, you can file an I-485 form. This is an application for permanent residency and status adjustment.
  4. Application Support Appointment: After you file an I-485 form, you will then have to go to an application support center appointment. There, they will take your fingerprints, ID you, perform security checks, and gather basic information on you.
  5. Interview: When your case is reviewed, it may be determined that you need an interview for certain aspects of your I-485 or other documents.
  6. Case Decision: Once all the details of the application process have been handled properly, your full petition for legal residency will be submitted. Once the USCIS makes a decision, they will mail you a notice of your official status.

Why You Need a Qualified Immigration Attorney

Immigration law can be complex and often involves a variety of difficulties. An individual may have to work through these before they can get to their desired status. At U.S. Law Center, our team is prepared to help, no matter how difficult your case may seem. Our lead attorney is fluent in multiple languages. With years of experience and extensive knowledge of the law, we have helped countless individuals obtain their immigration dreams. Our staff can work with you to help you understand immigration law and how it affects your unique circumstances. From there, we can work together to find resolutions that help you get to your goal. If you wish to change your immigration status, it is critical that you work with a qualified lawyer throughout the process.

FAQs About Los Angeles Adjustment of Status Laws

What Are the Requirements to Adjust Your Status in the U.S.?

To be eligible to adjust their status, there are four main requirements an individual must meet:

  1. They must have lawfully entered the U.S.
  2. They must be currently present in the U.S.
  3. They must have followed the terms of their visa properly.
  4. They must meet the requirements needed for a green card.

How Much Does the Adjustment of Status Cost?

The total cost of your status adjustment process will depend on what forms you filed and what legal help you hired. In addition to the cost of your attorney, filing an I-130 form has a fee of $535. Filing an I-485 form has a fee of $1,225. The prices of these are subject to change depending on the age of the person requesting an adjustment.

How Long Does the Adjustment of Status Take?

The adjustment of status process can take multiple months, depending on how complex your case was. In general, most status adjustments take anywhere from four months to a year to complete. It is wise to consult an experienced immigration lawyer. They can help you determine the timeline for your specific case.

Can You Apply for Status Adjustment From Outside the U.S.?

No. One of the requirements for adjustment of status is being present in the U.S. at the time of filing. There are some rare cases where an individual may be able to apply from outside of the U.S. However, they must first go through an extensive process, which can be very difficult to navigate without an attorney.

Adjustment of Status Lawyer in Los Angeles

Adjusting your status can seem like a complicated process. However, it does not have to be when you have the help of professionals. Here at U.S. Law Center, our primary goal is to help others achieve their own immigration goals. We know that immigration law can be difficult. This is why we are ready to work with you throughout your status adjustment. Our firm can represent your interests along the way.

If you are ready to adjust your status in Los Angeles, contact our team at U.S. Law Center to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can assist you.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation