U.S. Law Center

Corona, California Immigration Law Blog

A brief look at the process of acquiring asylum in America

Many people arriving in California from other nations have come in search of asylum. America is receptive to these immigrants, but they must present their case before they can acquire asylum and refugee status. As you might expect, this can be a lengthy process that feels overwhelming. This post will give you a brief walkthrough of how it works when seeking asylum and refugee status.

You have one year in most cases to apply for asylum once you have entered the country. After arrival, you must complete a form asking for asylum. Those aged 13 and older must submit to a background check and fingerprinting. Once these tasks are complete, you will receive a notice informing you of when and where your asylum interview will take place. In most cases, the applicant receives this notice within 21 days after applying.

Deportation defense: An overview of 3 possible court hearings

The complex process of deportation and removal alarms most foreign nationals. The formality of the removal process would make anyone feel defensive and nervous. It may make you feel better to know that it is just as complicated for the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), the agency charged with overseeing deportations. Another thing that could improve your outlook on these procedures involves knowing what to expect during your court appearances.

First, it is critical to understand that engaging an attorney experienced with deportation defense can improve your odds of remaining in California. Attorneys know the challenges you face, and they know how to meet these challenges successfully. With that said, below is a brief description of three official hearings you may need to attend:

  1. The master hearing: A judge will gather information from you and your deportation defense lawyer so as to gain a good understanding of your situation. Afterward, you may schedule additional hearings so that you can gather evidence to help you remain in America.
  2. Individual hearing: Someone from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) may present evidence indicating the need for deportation. Your attorney will have an equal opportunity to show why deportation is not appropriate.
  3. Withholding-only hearing: During this procedure, the immigration judge attempts to determine if you need to stay in the country due to special circumstances. For example, the judge may allow you to stay under the United Nations' Convention Against Torture.

This is why America appreciates its immigrants

Our nation was built on immigration. Without immigration, we would not be the country that we are today. To show you that not everyone stands ready to deny you entry into the U.S., we want to share with you information about the immigrants that have helped to build our country. Many of these immigrants inspired us to want to help migrants enter America legally and contribute to its greatness.

Madeleine Albright: Most people know Madeleine Albright for being America's first female U.S. Secretary of State or for her previous role as ambassador to the United Nations. You may not be aware that she migrated to the country from the Czech Republic (formerly known as Czechoslovakia).

3 things you should know about marriage and citizenship

Love is a feeling that knows no bounds, even across international borders. It's not uncommon for a U.S. citizen to fall in love with someone in another country.

When the relationship advances, and marriage is the next step, you may wonder what the process is for making your new spouse an American citizen. You know by marrying you, the person will receive citizenship, but you do not necessarily know how. Before saying "I do" without any idea how the process works, check out these three facts you did not know about spousal citizenship.

Is it difficult to get a nonimmigrant work visa to America?

Difficult may actually be the wrong word to describe the process of acquiring nonimmigrant work visas. The process is quite complicated, which may make it feel difficult, but the word "complex" is a better way to describe this procedure. Working with an immigration attorney can make it easier to acquire a work visa because your lawyer can assist you throughout the process.

California and many other American states still welcome workers from other countries. However, acquiring nonimmigrant work visas does require a bit of effort. First, you must decide which type of visa meets your needs. Your prospective employer must also contribute by filing a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS must approve the employer's petition before you can apply for your visa.

Avoid these mistakes when completing immigration paperwork

The near constant policy changes have made the path to immigration harder than ever. Not to mention, increased wait times for court hearings and receiving a response on immigration paperwork. It is incredibly stressful time for those seeking a visa or a green card.

The last thing an immigrant wants is make a mistake on his or immigration paperwork. Here are some common mistakes that could cause your application to be rejected.

The new California governor stands against immigration hype

The new governor of California, Democrat Gavin Newsom, took over the office in January 2019. The state has been watching the actions of Gov. Newsom to see how he will approach the issues plaguing the state's immigrants. As you might expect, the governor has been making headlines for his stance on these matters.

Recently, Gov. Newsom announced that he will call back most of the 360 National Guard personnel assigned to the border between California and Mexico. The former governor deployed these troops during his time in office. Mr. Newsom said that it was difficult for the troops to distinguish between simple illegal border crossings and more nefarious activities involving drugs and guns.

Capping H-1B visas could result in commerce-based policy changes

For many people worldwide, the United States may be seen as the land of opportunity. And for graduate-level employees seeking to gain work experience with an American company, the H-1B visa can provide a connection to employment for those who specialize in jobs such as engineering and information technology (IT). However, considering the cap on H-1B visas, you may be unlikely to receive permission to work for a U.S. employer.

Creating a legal partnership can protect you from deportation

Immigration, deportation and illegal immigrants are the hottest topics in California at this time. Members of the legal migrant community are just as fearful about deportation as those who are here illegally. Many migrants fled their origin nation because of persecution. Now, they are beginning to fear persecution in the U.S. as well.

We understand the fear these immigrants feel in the current American political environment. Many worry that an agent will one day visit their homes and take them away from the lives they have built. What can these legal citizens of the U.S. do to create a deportation defense that will offer them protection?

Putting a fine point on legal immigration in California

Those of us who watched President's Trump's recent State of the Union address sat up and took notice when he made the following statement. "I want people to come into our country in the largest numbers ever, but they have to come in legally."

As immigration attorneys, we found this statement encouraging. Properly seeking green cards and visas is still the best way for migrants to enter California and the rest of the nation. Becoming a permanent resident of the U.S. through legal means provides immigrants with many benefits. One of the best of these benefits centers on no longer worrying about deportation. When migrants come to America lawfully, they will not have to hide from the authorities or work illegally to survive.

Email Us For a Response

Contact U.S. Law Center

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Corona Office
4230 Green River RD.
Corona, CA 92880

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Map & Directions

Carson Office
208 E. Carson St.
Suite 203
Carson, CA 90745

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Map & Directions

| |