1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Green Cards And Visas
  4.  → Students: F Visas

U.S. Immigration Attorney Advising On Student Visas

If you plan on attending a U.S. school, college or university as a foreign student, it is important that you begin the process of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approval of your F-1, J-1 or M-1 student visa at the first opportunity. A student visa application must be submitted to the U.S. consulate, consular office or U.S. embassy with jurisdiction over your permanent residence, along with USCIS form I-20A-B/ID (certificate of eligibility) from the institution to which you have been admitted, along with a letter of admission, proof that you have funds to support yourself while in the United States, evidence you intend to return home and other documentation.

It is extremely important that your petition and supporting documentation be meticulously prepared. Any error, omission or poorly worded answer may result in a processing delay or denial of your J, M or F visa petition. At U.S. Law Center, our attorneys devote their practice exclusively to immigration law and have extensive, successful experience in student visa processing. If you would like to discuss your situation with a member of our firm, please contact our office to arrange a free consultation.

Spouse And Children Of The Student Visa Holder: F-2 Status

A student visa holder’s spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are allowed to join the student in the U.S. under F-2 status. The prospective student’s form I-20A-B may be used to request an F-2 visa for dependents. If the spouse and dependent children are entering the United States at a later date, they will need to submit form I-20A-B from the school the student visa holder is attending. F-2 visa holders cannot work while in the U.S. If dependents want to attend a post-secondary institution in the U.S., they must change their status to F-1. An F-2 child may attend school through the 12th grade.

A student visa is a nonimmigrant visa, and the student is expected to return home at the end of the educational experience. If you have as your long-term goal achieving permanent residency, talk to our attorneys about an appropriate strategy.

If you would like to speak with one of our lawyers about a student visa or have another question about our immigration law practice, please email or call our Riverside County office at to arrange a free consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available. Our fees are competitive and we accept credit cards. Se habla español.