Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

How to become a United States citizen

Home     |    Blog     |    How to become a United States citizen

How to become a United States citizen

The American Dream is something that many immigrant residents of California aspire to. Most foreign citizens who live here legally begin the process of becoming a United States citizen by obtaining a green card. However, it is not the only way to gain citizenship. At U.S. Law Center we often assist clients in entering the U.S. and attaining citizenship.

File Right, LLC reports that there are several ways immigrants may become United States citizens:

  • Marriage – If you marry a U.S. citizen, he or she can complete an I-130 form accompanied by the marriage certificate. It establishes the relationship between you and your American citizen spouse.
  • Parents – If your parents are married and U.S. citizens, you automatically become an American citizen, regardless of whether your birth took place outside U.S. borders.
  • Naturalization – Getting a green card means you are a permanent legal resident of the United States. You can work and live freely anywhere within the country. There are three ways to obtain a green card: A relative already living in the U.S. can sponsor you, a qualifying job offer or if you are here as an asylee or refugee for at least a year.
  • Military – If you served honorably in any of the armed services, you might be eligible for naturalization. It shares many requirements similar to those of five-year green card holders.

The road to U.S. citizenship and naturalization is a long one. There are several requirements you must meet, including knowledge, residency, character and loyalty. A legal professional can help ensure you meet deadlines and complete all necessary forms. Visit our webpage for more information on this topic.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation