Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

How do I renew a green card?

Home     |    Blog     |    How do I renew a green card?

How do I renew a green card?

A permanent citizen card, also known as a green card, shows that you have the proper authority to live and work in the United States. Green cards must be renewed once every ten years or you run the risk of serious issues, including deportation. To ensure you’re properly documented while in this country, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services offers the following advice.

In order to renew a green card, you must file Form I-90, or the Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. You can file this form electronically or by mail. It’s recommended that you initiate the renewal process six months before the green card actually expires just in case there are any issues. If you’re outside of the country and your card is close to expiring, you should file as soon as you return to this country provided the card is still valid. If not, it’s best to contact the immigration office or your closest consulate for more information before returning.

You can also keep track of your application status as it’s being processed. This is recommended in the event your application is denied. If your renewal application is denied, you have one of two options. You can request a motion to reopen the case, in which case you must present new evidence with your notice to refute the claims made in your denial notice.

Your other option is a motion to reconsider the original decision. In this case, you’ll need to show that the law was applied wrongly in your case. To do this, it’s best to proceed with the assistance of an immigration attorney. Immigration law is often complex, and your chances of experiencing a successful outcome will increase when you have professional legal counsel on your side.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation