Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

Chino Hills Immigration Lawyer

Home     |    Chino Hills Immigration Lawyer

Chino Hills Immigration Lawyer

Chino Hills is a suburb with a population of around 80,000 that offers a variety of economic opportunities. Due to the various opportunities Chino Hills offers, it has become a common destination for immigrants who are trying to build a life in the United States. If you are searching for an immigration pathway to move to or continue to live in Chino Hills, a Chino Hills immigration lawyer from U.S. Law Center can assist you.

At U.S. Law Center, our immigration team has been helping immigrants live and work in the Chino Hills area for years. Whether you would like to get a work-based visa to move to Chino Hills or have your green card and are interested in the naturalization process, a compassionate and dedicated lawyer from our law firm can provide you with the information you need, make sure your rights are protected, and walk you through all of the complexities of the immigration bureaucracy.

Understanding the Difference: Immigrant v. Non-Immigrant Visas

In the United States, there are two main types of visas that you can apply for, which are immigrant and non-immigrant visas. With an immigrant visa, you can obtain a green card after traveling to the United States and eventually secure a path to citizenship. If you travel to the United States with a non-immigrant visa, then you will not be eligible to apply for a green card.

Non-Immigrant Work Visas

Non-immigrant work visas are pursued by individuals who are interested in working in the United States for a temporary amount of time. Usually, such visas are sponsored, meaning that an employer will have to file a petition to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS, on behalf of the applicant.

If the employer’s petition is accepted, then the applicant will need to apply for the non-immigrant work visa in advance to travel to the United States. Family and spouses of applicants must also apply for their own visas prior to travel. Common types of non-immigrant work visas include:

  • TN NAFTA. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement, this type of visa allows certain qualified professionals with Mexican or Canadian nationality to travel to the United States and conduct temporary business missions.
  • H Visas. H visas grant a maximum stay of three years in the United States, depending on the type of H visa. The purpose of an H visa can vary from professional or academic work to training in graduate education or temporary work in the agricultural sector during peak season.
  • I Visas. I visas are a type of visa available to people working for the foreign press with an office operating out of a home country. This visa applies to individuals such as broadcasters, editors, film crew members, and reporters, and it is valid for as long as they are still carrying out the affiliated work.
  • L Visas. An L visa can last for one to three years, depending on the type, and is for people who are making a temporary transfer within a company at which they are already employed.
  • O Visas. An O visa is for individuals who are extraordinarily gifted, have exceptional achievements or abilities, and are not industry-dependent. O visas cover a family member or a person who is traveling with the applicant.
  • P and R Visas. The P and R visas are for gifted performers and religious workers who are part of a non-profit in the United States.

In order to understand which non-immigrant visa could work for you to come to Chino Hills, California, based on the requirements and associated permissions, it is helpful to work with an informed and experienced immigration lawyer.

Immigrant Work Visas

Immigrant employment-based visas typically require an offer of employment from a qualified employer with a U.S. Department of Labor certification. This certification must show that hiring the applicant does not take a job from a U.S. citizen and that there is a scarcity of workers in the United States with the applicant’s particular skill set. The five types of work-based immigrant visas are:

  • EB-1 Visas. This visa is extended to individuals who possess “extraordinary ability” in areas such as the arts, business, science, or sports and don’t require a US DoL certification. Family members are eligible to apply for entry to the United States using E-15 or E-14 immigrant status.
  • EB-2 Visas. Such visas are for individuals who hold an advanced degree, have a minimum of 10 years of experience in a certain field, or have employment that is in the U.S. national interest. The first and second categories of eligibility require a labor certification. If the applicant is accepted, family members can apply for US entry using E-21 or E-22 immigrant status.
  • EB-3 Visas. This visa is available to those with a bachelor’s degree, as well as unskilled and skilled workers who have a permanent U.S. employment offer. Labor certification must be demonstrated for this visa, and family members are eligible to apply for a visa if the applicant is admitted.
  • EB-4 Visas. EB-4 visas apply to individuals such as those who work at foreign service posts, are retired from certain international organizations, and do certain religious work. Depending on the case characteristics, some family members may be eligible to apply for entry.
  • EB-5 Visas. These visas are for individuals who can make at least 1.8 million in investments in a company to employ a minimum of 10 U.S. citizens full-time. Those who can make 900,000 in a commercial venture in a specific employment endeavor to cover 10 US workers full-time are also eligible. Labor certification is not required, and family members are eligible to apply for immigration visas as well.

There are approximately 140,000 employment-based green card applications that are allowed to be accepted each year in the United States. By holding certain education requirements, skill sets, professional experience, and other requirements for eligibility, an individual and their family may be able to qualify for an immigrant work-based visa. Work with an immigration lawyer from U.S. Law Center to see if you are eligible.


Q: What Is the California Anti-Immigration Law?

A: Proposition 187, which is also referred to as the “Save Our State” referendum, passed in 1994 and was introduced by a group of organizations that were anti-immigration.

Prop 187 kept undocumented immigrants in California from having access to public benefits, such as healthcare and education, and it required certain individuals, such as police and teachers, to report undocumented immigrants to authorities. In 1999, a federal district court judge voided the proposition, as it was found to be unconstitutional.

Q: Can I Work in California Without Having a Green Card?

A: You do not always need a green card to work with legal authorization in California and the United States. Depending on the details of your case, you can apply for an immigrant or non-immigrant visa to live and work in California. With an immigrant visa, you can eventually apply for a green card, and there is an ultimate pathway to citizenship. However, with a non-immigrant visa, you are not eligible to apply for a green card.

Q: How Long Can I Stay in California Without a Green Card?

A: The length of time that a non-citizen can stay in California and the United States without having a green card depends on the type of visa they have or the tourist agreement that is in place with their country of nationality. For citizens of over 40 countries, a stay of up to 90 days is allowed if they are approved using the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, or ESTA, ahead of travel. Certain international student visas and work visas can last three to five years, with options for renewal.

Q: Can the CA Police Ask Me for My Immigration Status?

A: If the California police ask you for your immigration status, you have the right to remain silent and refuse to discuss the details surrounding your immigration status, including how you entered the country and the country where you were born. Laws are different at U.S. borders and in airports. If an immigration agent asks for your immigration papers, you must present them. If you are arrested, you can remain silent, and you have a right to a lawyer.

Work With a Chino Hills Immigration Lawyer From U.S. Law Center

U.S. and California immigration laws and processes are constantly changing, and this can be overwhelming. At U.S. Law Center, our immigration team is constantly keeping up to date on policy, processes, current proceeding outcomes, and recent application wait times so that you can have access to all of the information you need to make informed decisions.

In addition to keeping you in the know, our team leverages a client-centered approach in which we work one-on-one with you to understand the details of your case and address any emerging questions or concerns that you may have. By employing our experience with the immigration landscape, we can work to find an immigration pathway that is optimal for you and your family. Reach out to one of our Chino Hills immigration lawyers today to get started.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation