Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

What do I need to know about applying for a fiancé visa?

Home     |    Blog     |    What do I need to know about applying for a fiancé visa?

What do I need to know about applying for a fiancé visa?

Finding the person who you want to marry is a big deal. It is a huge step and planning a wedding can be complicated. If the person you wish to marry lives outside the United States and you want to bring him or her to Riverside County to marry and live with you, it can be even more so. Here is what you need to know about applying for a fiancé visa.

One of the most important things to keep in mind, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, is that once your fiancé arrives in the U.S., you only have 90 days to get married. After 90 days, a fiancé visa expires and the person must leave the U.S. if no wedding has taken place. No extensions are available. If your wedding does happen within that 90-day window, an application for permanent residence may then be submitted.

You must provide a few different things when petitioning for a fiancé visa. Unless you can cite a cultural or hardship-based reason, you must provide evidence that you and your fiancé have met in person during the last two years. You must also show that neither of you is already married and that you are a U.S. citizen.

Finally, if your fiancé would like to work during the 90-day fiancé visa period, application for approval to do so may be made. Once the marriage takes place, a request can be submitted to extend that approval until permanent resident status is granted. This is general information on this topic and is not intended to be legal advice.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation