Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

Resuming permanent residence in the U.S. after traveling abroad

Home     |    Blog     |    Resuming permanent residence in the U.S. after traveling abroad

Resuming permanent residence in the U.S. after traveling abroad

As a permanent resident of the United States, you may need to travel to another country for business, family matters or some other reason. If you used to live in Corona, California, or elsewhere in the United States, staying outside the country for one year or outstaying your re-entry permit does not necessarily mean you lose your status. We at the U.S. Law Center have answered the questions of many returning residents who wish to renew their former status.

The U.S. Department of State explains that a new immigrant visa must be issued before you can be re-instated and return to the country. To be eligible, you must be able to prove that you intended to return to the country in a timely manner, but events set off by circumstances you did not initiate kept you from making the trip. Evidence may include the source of the delay, such as medical or employment records. You will also need to show verification of when you left and links or connections to the United States that indicate you always planned to return.

An interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate is part of the application process, but what you will need to take with you varies based on your location. If you have a re-entry permit, it will be required, as well as the application and the documents showing you were a permanent resident before you left. You also must have all the relevant vaccinations and a medical examination. There is more information about immigrant visas on our page about obtaining a green card.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation