Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

Responsibilities of U.S. permanent residents

Home     |    Blog     |    Responsibilities of U.S. permanent residents

Responsibilities of U.S. permanent residents

If you are in the process of becoming a U.S. permanent resident in Riverside or Orange Counties, you may be wondering what your obligations will be under your new status. Understanding these is an essential part of living in the United States. At the U.S. Law Center, our goal is to make the transition as smooth as possible for you.

According to the U.S. Social Security Administration, one of the first things you will need to do as a legal permanent resident is apply for a social security card at the Social Security office. You will need your permanent resident card and your birth certificate when you apply. If you applied for and received a social security number with your visa, you will need to contact the SSA for a replacement card.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, part of abiding by U.S. law is paying taxes. The Internal Revenue Service requires you to file a federal tax return, and California requires that you file a state income tax form, as well. Failing to pay taxes can cause you to lose your status as a permanent resident.

Although you can travel outside the United States and return, certain situations may jeopardize your resident status. For example, if you take up residence in another country, it may be considered abandonment and could delay your eligibility for naturalization, particularly if you are away for one year or more. For more information about what you can expect as a permanent resident of the United States, please visit our website.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation