Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

How can permanent residents help their spouse get a green card?

Home     |    Blog     |    How can permanent residents help their spouse get a green card?

How can permanent residents help their spouse get a green card?

When someone is a permanent resident in the U.S., they may enjoy a number of benefits, such as the ability to work and live in the country legally. However, life can be difficult for permanent residents in Corona and throughout California who are unable to see some of their close family members, such as their spouse and children. If you are in this position, it is important to understand your options and closely evaluate the green card application process if you wish to help your spouse obtain a green card so they can join you.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ website outlines the steps that need to be taken for permanent residents who want to help certain relatives obtain a green card. According to the USCIS, the process is different for family members who are already in the United States compared to those who are currently living in another country. Those who are presently in the U.S. could be eligible for a green card if they complete the application process successfully. First, they will have to correctly submit Form I-130. If this form is approved, they can turn in Form I-485, which could allow them to become a permanent resident. Eligible relatives of a permanent U.S. resident who are currently living outside of the U.S. could obtain a green card through consular processing, which requires them to complete Form I-130. If approved, they can obtain permanent residency when they travel to the United States with a visa issued by the U.S. Department of State.

Please keep in mind that this information does not constitute legal advice.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation