U.S. Law Center

Family Immigration Archives

H-4 spouses may lose work authorization sooner than expected

The United States is a country of citizens, immigrants and non-immigrants. With few exceptions, if you are a citizen or legal permanent resident, you may work for essentially any employer. That is, of course, not the case if you have many types of non-immigrant status.  For example, if you have an H-1B visa, you may only perform certain job duties at a specific place of employment. Spouses of those with H-1B status usually receive H-4 visas. Since 2015, if you have H-4 status and meet certain requirements, you may apply for a work permit. 

Do not forget to remove conditions on marriage-based residency

Becoming a permanent resident of the United States can take years of hard work. If you received your residency through marriage to a citizen, though, you may need to do additional work to preserve your status. That is, you may need to remove the conditions on your residency. 

What do I need to know about applying for a fiancé visa?

Finding the person who you want to marry is a big deal. It is a huge step and planning a wedding can be complicated. If the person you wish to marry lives outside the United States and you want to bring him or her to Riverside County to marry and live with you, it can be even more so. Here is what you need to know about applying for a fiancé visa.

Family immigration: a loophole in the law?

Immigration has been a hot-button topic in America for years, and even more so in recent months. Although immigration is legal in the country, there also exists a limitation on the number of immigrants allowed in the state. Those offering significant work in the country are also prioritized, depending on the type of service. The tension regarding immigration after a Trump presidency has only grown, especially in California, the state with the most immigrants in the country.

Does spousal abuse threaten your immigration status?

One of the easiest ways to become a permanent resident may be through your spouse if he is a U.S. citizen. However, if your life in California has become miserable because of domestic violence, the cost of becoming a citizen may be too high. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you may be eligible to receive protection without losing your status.

What is the Hague Convention and how does it affect my adoption?

If you are adopting a child from outside the United States to live with you in Riverside County, the type of documentation you will need to file will depend largely on which country the child will be coming from. Adoptions from certain countries are governed by the Hague Convention. The Convention is an agreement between several countries that sets forth the standards for international adoptions.

Can the most common immigration myths be debunked?

Riverside County is a largely diverse area that has opened its arms to immigrants of many different nationalities. You may have heard negative statements about immigrants, particularly those who are undocumented. Sadly, there has been a great deal of prejudice against those who come to our country to find a better life. The following are some of the most common myths on immigration that are being perpetuated, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, as well as the explanations that show how these statements are false.

Outcome for the DAPA program

When one member of a family living in California is a U.S. citizen and others are undocumented immigrants, the risk of deportation is an ongoing threat to the family’s stability. This is especially true when the citizen is a minor child and the separation could remove the parent who is the breadwinner and caregiver. Immigration reform on the state and federal levels has attempted to address this problem.

Email Us For a Response

Contact U.S. Law Center

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Corona Office
4230 Green River RD.
Corona, CA 92880

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office
208 E. Carson St.
Suite 203
Carson, CA 90745

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Carson Law Office Map

| |