Fraud Blocker
Call For A Consultation 866-665-1696

As a non-citizen, what do I need to do if I move?

Home     |    Blog     |    As a non-citizen, what do I need to do if I move?

As a non-citizen, what do I need to do if I move?

If you are living in Corona, California and have a green card or visa but are not a citizen of the United States, you must report your change of address. This will ensure that the government has the correct information about where you are living. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website, you must file the proper paperwork providing notice of your new address within 10 days of your move.

If you have a petition or application that is pending with the USCIS, you will need to amend your application, either by phone or online. You will also need to file Form AR-11. This can be done online at the same time as your application amendment, or through the mail. If you do not have anything pending, only the Form AR-11 must be filed. If you choose to submit it by mail, it is recommended that you use some form of receipted delivery so that you will have proof that it was delivered.

Failing to update your address is considered a misdemeanor crime. If you are found guilty of failing to provide a change in address, punishment may include fines or jail time and your ability to remain in the country may also be in jeopardy.

Certain non-citizens are exempt from reporting a change in address. For example, if you are only in the country for less than 30 days, you are exempt. Diplomats are also not required to report when they change residences. This should not be considered legal advice and is provided as general information on this topic only.

Making Immigration Law Work For You

The U.S. Law Center is a nationwide, full-service immigration law firm providing large corporations, small businesses and individuals with a full range of immigration processing and placement services.
Free Consultation