U.S. Law Center

Se habla español.

We also speak Mandarin, Korean, Hindi,
Farsi, Arabic, Punjabi, Urdu, and Armenian.

What are the requirements to sponsor an immigrant in California?

When you have a family member who wants to move to the United States permanently and plans to live with you in Corona, CA, you can become that person’s sponsor under certain conditions. To become a sponsor, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services requires you to sign an affidavit of support. This document states that you will be financially responsible for your family member until that person becomes a citizen or works in the country for 40 quarters of work, which typically takes about 10 years.

The affidavit of support is a legally binding document, and once you sign it, you become responsible for the financial support of the immigrant. Citizenship or completion of the work requirements are the two primary events that release you from the contract since these are the goals of the sponsorship. If the person you are sponsoring leaves the country and is no longer a permanent resident, or if the person dies, you are no longer responsible for that person’s financial support.

USCIS guidelines list a minimum household income requirement for sponsors. Your household includes a spouse, dependents, yourself, other family members currently living with you and the sponsored immigrant. The income minimum is 125 percent above the poverty level for that number of people. For example, if there are four people in your household, your total household income must be at least $30,312, according to the 2015 HHS Poverty Guidelines sheet supplied by the USCIS.

This information is not a complete list of the USCIS guidelines for sponsorship, and should not be considered as legal advice. Other conditions and terms may apply, depending on the specifics of your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Have Questions? Contact Our U.S. Immigration Law Firm

If you would like to discuss your needs with one of our lawyers, please contact us to arrange a free consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available at our Corona office. Our fees are competitive and we accept credit cards.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

Corona Office | 4230 Green River RD. | Corona, CA 92880 | Phone: 310-746-5746 | Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office | 208 E. Carson St. | Suite 203 | Carson, CA 90745 | Phone: 951-808-5342 | Map & Directions

By Appointment Only