U.S. Law Center

Posts tagged "Family Immigration"

What do I need to know about applying for a fiancé visa?

Finding the person who you want to marry is a big deal. It is a huge step and planning a wedding can be complicated. If the person you wish to marry lives outside the United States and you want to bring him or her to Riverside County to marry and live with you, it can be even more so. Here is what you need to know about applying for a fiancé visa.

Family immigration: a loophole in the law?

Immigration has been a hot-button topic in America for years, and even more so in recent months. Although immigration is legal in the country, there also exists a limitation on the number of immigrants allowed in the state. Those offering significant work in the country are also prioritized, depending on the type of service. The tension regarding immigration after a Trump presidency has only grown, especially in California, the state with the most immigrants in the country.

Does spousal abuse threaten your immigration status?

One of the easiest ways to become a permanent resident may be through your spouse if he is a U.S. citizen. However, if your life in California has become miserable because of domestic violence, the cost of becoming a citizen may be too high. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you may be eligible to receive protection without losing your status.

What is the Hague Convention and how does it affect my adoption?

If you are adopting a child from outside the United States to live with you in Riverside County, the type of documentation you will need to file will depend largely on which country the child will be coming from. Adoptions from certain countries are governed by the Hague Convention. The Convention is an agreement between several countries that sets forth the standards for international adoptions.

Can the most common immigration myths be debunked?

Riverside County is a largely diverse area that has opened its arms to immigrants of many different nationalities. You may have heard negative statements about immigrants, particularly those who are undocumented. Sadly, there has been a great deal of prejudice against those who come to our country to find a better life. The following are some of the most common myths on immigration that are being perpetuated, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, as well as the explanations that show how these statements are false.

Outcome for the DAPA program

When one member of a family living in California is a U.S. citizen and others are undocumented immigrants, the risk of deportation is an ongoing threat to the family’s stability. This is especially true when the citizen is a minor child and the separation could remove the parent who is the breadwinner and caregiver. Immigration reform on the state and federal levels has attempted to address this problem.

Bringing parents to the United States

When people who were born in other countries move to California or elsewhere in the United States permanently, they may be interested in reuniting other members of their family, such as parents. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, although permanent residents are not able to sponsor a parent for a green card, a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years of age does have this option.

Are immigrant victims of domestic violence protected?

If you have moved to California from another country to join your spouse who is a U.S. citizen, the most difficult challenge you face may be overcoming language or culture barriers. However, if your spouse is abusive, your opportunity may become a nightmare. In the United States, victims of domestic violence has access to protections, though, and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains that these are available to anyone, regardless of immigration status.

An update on the status of DAPA in the U.S. Supreme Court

One of the perils of living in California or elsewhere in the country without the proper documentation is the risk that a family will be separated. When parents are not eligible to apply for or renew a visa, but they have a child who is a legal resident, there is the possibility that they will be deported without their child.

Who qualifies for a family preference immigrant visa?

As a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident who is living in Orange or Riverside County in California, you may want to assist one or more of your family members in joining you in the United States. You may be able to file a petition for a family preference immigrant visa on behalf of your family member. There are a limited number of these each year, and according to the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, the relationship between you and your family member may affect whether this family visa will be granted.

Email Us For a Response

Contact U.S. Law Center

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Corona Office
4230 Green River RD.
Corona, CA 92880

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office
208 E. Carson St.
Suite 203
Carson, CA 90745

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Carson Law Office Map

| |