U.S. Law Center

What do I need to know about applying for a fiancé visa?

Finding the person who you want to marry is a big deal. It is a huge step and planning a wedding can be complicated. If the person you wish to marry lives outside the United States and you want to bring him or her to Riverside County to marry and live with you, it can be even more so. Here is what you need to know about applying for a fiancé visa.

One of the most important things to keep in mind, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, is that once your fiancé arrives in the U.S., you only have 90 days to get married. After 90 days, a fiancé visa expires and the person must leave the U.S. if no wedding has taken place. No extensions are available. If your wedding does happen within that 90-day window, an application for permanent residence may then be submitted.

You must provide a few different things when petitioning for a fiancé visa. Unless you can cite a cultural or hardship-based reason, you must provide evidence that you and your fiancé have met in person during the last two years. You must also show that neither of you is already married and that you are a U.S. citizen.

Finally, if your fiancé would like to work during the 90-day fiancé visa period, application for approval to do so may be made. Once the marriage takes place, a request can be submitted to extend that approval until permanent resident status is granted. This is general information on this topic and is not intended to be legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact U.S. Law Center

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Corona Office
4230 Green River RD.
Corona, CA 92880

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office
208 E. Carson St.
Suite 203
Carson, CA 90745

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Carson Law Office Map

| |