U.S. Law Center

How do I travel to the U.S. as a representative of foreign media?

If you work as part of the media in a foreign country, your job may require you to travel to Riverside County. Many films are made in California and many major news outlets cover stories in the Los Angeles area. Here is what you need to know about coming to the U.S. if you work in the media industry.

According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, members of the foreign media will need an I visa to enter the country. Visitors from some countries are eligible for visa waivers; however, if you are coming for the purpose of working, you will need an I visa even if your home country is on the waiver list. The American Embassy nearest to where you live is where you should go to fill out an application.

If you are married or have children who are under the age of 21, your family may accompany you to the U.S. by also applying for I visas. With an I nonimmigrant visa, your spouse and children may attend school but will not be permitted to work. If they are only coming to visit you on vacation and not to reside with you while you are working in the U.S., they may qualify for a waiver or for a B-2 nonimmigrant visa.

In order for you to be eligible for an I visa, your home office must be located in country other than the U.S. In addition, your visit to the U.S. must be for the purpose of engaging in your profession as a representative of a foreign media outlet. This is information on this topic is general in nature and is not intended to be legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact U.S. Law Center

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Corona Office
4230 Green River RD.
Corona, CA 92880

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office
208 E. Carson St.
Suite 203
Carson, CA 90745

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Carson Law Office Map

| |