U.S. Law Center

Se habla español.

We also speak Mandarin, Korean, Hindi,
Farsi, Arabic, Punjabi, Urdu, and Armenian.

Some seeking alternative routes in absence of startup visa

Starting a business is a big dream for many people in Orange County. However, for those who were not born here, finding a type of visa that will allow them to realize their goals is not easy. Typically, employers are the ones to sponsor candidates who wish to come to the U.S. for jobs. But what happens if you are an immigrant and want to start your own company? At US Law Center, we understand that ideas and innovation are what drive many entrepreneurs and that the ability to found a startup is the U.S. is essential to your success.

According to NPR, some argue that immigrants are responsible for founding 50 percent of the most successful startups in the country. That is why some are exploring an alternative way of being able to remain in the country while they get their businesses up and running.

Rather than applying for an H-1B skilled worker visa through a traditional employer, an entrepreneur can apply for one by becoming employed by a university. The individual then is able to remain in the country and work on campus, while at the same time getting their startup off the ground. Once the company is on its feet and has proven its viability, its founder can then apply for an EB-1 visa, which is granted to those have demonstrated extraordinary abilities in fields such as business, education or the arts.

While the number of H-1B visas issued to employers is capped each year, there is no such limitation placed on colleges and universities. This also benefits schools by allowing them to employ talented people and promote business growth. For more information on obtaining a visa to work in the U.S., please visit our web page.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Have Questions? Contact Our U.S. Immigration Law Firm

If you would like to discuss your needs with one of our lawyers, please contact us to arrange a free consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available at our Corona office. Our fees are competitive and we accept credit cards.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

Corona Office | 4230 Green River RD. | Corona, CA 92880 | Phone: 310-746-5746 | Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office | 208 E. Carson St. | Suite 203 | Carson, CA 90745 | Phone: 951-808-5342 | Map & Directions