U.S. Law Center

Se habla español.

We also speak Mandarin, Korean, Hindi,
Farsi, Arabic, Punjabi, Urdu, and Armenian.

How can I find out if I am eligible to work in the U.S.?

If you are an immigrant living in Riverside County, you may wish to seek out employment to earn money. However, not all classes of immigrants are eligible to work in the United States. Applying for a job and getting rejected because of your immigration status can be disheartening. However, there is a way that you can check your eligibility beforehand.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has a program called Self-Check, which allows you to enter your information online and see if you are eligible to seek out employment. You enter your information, answer a few security questions and any employment documentation you may have. The system will then tell you whether you are eligible to hold a job in the U.S.

This service is completely separate from the E-Verify system that employers use to check an applicant’s eligibility. One advantage to using the Self-Check is that you can identify any mistakes in the system and have then corrected before a potential employer runs your information through E-Verify. This can prevent you from being turned down for a job for which you are actually eligible.

While Self-Check and E-Verify utilize the same database that contains information from the Social Security Administration and the Department of Homeland Security, any results you get are private and will not be shared with anyone else, including employers. Employers cannot require you to use the Self-Check program. This is not intended to be legal advice and is being provided only as general information on this topic.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Have Questions? Contact Our U.S. Immigration Law Firm

If you would like to discuss your needs with one of our lawyers, please contact us to arrange a free consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available at our Corona office. Our fees are competitive and we accept credit cards.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

Corona Office | 4230 Green River RD. | Corona, CA 92880 | Phone: 310-746-5746 | Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office | 208 E. Carson St. | Suite 203 | Carson, CA 90745 | Phone: 951-808-5342 | Map & Directions