U.S. Law Center

Se habla español.

We also speak Mandarin, Korean, Hindi,
Farsi, Arabic, Punjabi, Urdu, and Armenian.

How do I remove a condition on my permanent residence status?

For many immigrants to Riverside County, receiving a green card can be a huge life milestone. However, some green cards that are issued are considered conditional and only valid for a limited amount of time unless the conditions are removed. If your green card was issued due to one of the two following circumstances, the conditions will need to be removed in order for your green card to become permanent.

The first circumstance is if your green card was issued to you as an investor or entrepreneur. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you will need to complete form I-829 and provide up to date information on the business enterprise for which your residence was granted. The proper paperwork must be filed within 90 days of when the green card is set to expire. Once the paperwork is received, an extension may be granted for six months.

The second type of condition that requires removal is when your permanent residence was granted based on a marriage that was less than two years old. To have this condition removed, it must be proven that your marriage is still valid. There are, however, exceptions in the case of the death of your spouse, some divorces and instances of domestic abuse.

The proper forms for this type must also be submitted within 90 days prior to when the green card expires. Failure to do so will result in a removal action being initiated against you unless good cause can be shown. In some cases, an interview may be required to substantiate that you are indeed eligible to have the condition removed. This information is provided for educational purposes and should not be considered legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Have Questions? Contact Our U.S. Immigration Law Firm

If you would like to discuss your needs with one of our lawyers, please contact us to arrange a free consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available at our Corona office. Our fees are competitive and we accept credit cards.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

Corona Office | 4230 Green River RD. | Corona, CA 92880 | Phone: 310-746-5746 | Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office | 208 E. Carson St. | Suite 203 | Carson, CA 90745 | Phone: 951-808-5342 | Map & Directions

By Appointment Only