U.S. Law Center

Se habla español.

We also speak Mandarin, Korean, Hindi,
Farsi, Arabic, Punjabi, Urdu, and Armenian.

Victims of human traffickers may qualify for a T visa

Not everyone meets the requirements to move to the United States legally. However, many have taken advantage of offers made by unethical people who promise safe transport into the country in exchange for money or favors. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime states that this practice is considered human trafficking, and it is both illegal and immoral.

When a person in Corona, California, has been the victim of human trafficking, he or she may have an opportunity to stay in the United States without fear of deportation. According to the U.S. Department of State, some victims may be eligible for a T-1 visa. However, people who qualify for this nonimmigrant visa must be willing to help officials who are working to apprehend human traffickers.

An application, photograph and an interview are part of the process for obtaining a T visa. The victim must be in the United States as a direct result of the actions of a human trafficker. Other locations that qualify include a U.S. port-of-entry, American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

A person who is applying for a T-1 visa may also be able to apply for derivative T visas for family members. Spouses often qualify for a T-2 visa, and children may be able to get a T-3 visa. If the victim is under 21 years of age, he or she may also file the application for parents or unmarried siblings 17 or younger.

In order to prevent harm to families who may be threatened with retaliation by the human traffickers, the victim may file an application for a T-5 visa for unmarried siblings under the age of 18, or a T-4 visa for parents. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Have Questions? Contact Our U.S. Immigration Law Firm

If you would like to discuss your needs with one of our lawyers, please contact us to arrange a free consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available at our Corona office. Our fees are competitive and we accept credit cards.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

Corona Office | 4230 Green River RD. | Corona, CA 92880 | Phone: 310-746-5746 | Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office | 208 E. Carson St. | Suite 203 | Carson, CA 90745 | Phone: 951-808-5342 | Map & Directions

By Appointment Only