U.S. Law Center

Resuming permanent residence in the U.S. after traveling abroad

As a permanent resident of the United States, you may need to travel to another country for business, family matters or some other reason. If you used to live in Corona, California, or elsewhere in the United States, staying outside the country for one year or outstaying your re-entry permit does not necessarily mean you lose your status. We at the U.S. Law Center have answered the questions of many returning residents who wish to renew their former status.

The U.S. Department of State explains that a new immigrant visa must be issued before you can be re-instated and return to the country. To be eligible, you must be able to prove that you intended to return to the country in a timely manner, but events set off by circumstances you did not initiate kept you from making the trip. Evidence may include the source of the delay, such as medical or employment records. You will also need to show verification of when you left and links or connections to the United States that indicate you always planned to return.

An interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate is part of the application process, but what you will need to take with you varies based on your location. If you have a re-entry permit, it will be required, as well as the application and the documents showing you were a permanent resident before you left. You also must have all the relevant vaccinations and a medical examination. There is more information about immigrant visas on our page about obtaining a green card.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact U.S. Law Center

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Corona Office
4230 Green River RD.
Corona, CA 92880

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office
208 E. Carson St.
Suite 203
Carson, CA 90745

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Carson Law Office Map

| |