U.S. Law Center

When do I need a new green card?

When you are a green card holder with permanent residency status, it is very important to always keep your status up-to-date. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you must carry your green card with you at all times, as this is proof that you are a lawful permanent resident. There are many reasons why you may need to replace or renew the residency document.

If your green card is lost or stolen, you must request a replacement immediately. A copy is not sufficient. Not only must you have your document with you, it has to be legible. A damaged or destroyed card should also be replaced right away. When there is outdated information on the document, the situation requires a new one, whether this is due to a status change, or something simple such as an address change.

During the last 90 days of a conditional permanent residence green card, a petition must be filed so that you can remove the condition. Remaining married to a U.S. citizen for two years is satisfactory to file for permanent residence. If you have lost a spouse from a good faith marriage, you may also have the condition removed. If you are an investor, there is a petition to be filed to have the condition removed after two years.

Possessing a green card is an important step toward becoming a U.S. citizen. It is essential for you to follow all the guidelines set out by the USCIS to prevent issues such as loss of residency status or deportation proceedings. This information about when to replace a green card is provided for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact U.S. Law Center

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Corona Office
4230 Green River RD.
Corona, CA 92880

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office
208 E. Carson St.
Suite 203
Carson, CA 90745

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Carson Law Office Map

| |