U.S. Law Center

Se habla español.

We also speak Mandarin, Korean, Hindi,
Farsi, Arabic, Punjabi, Urdu, and Armenian.

Responsibilities of U.S. permanent residents

If you are in the process of becoming a U.S. permanent resident in Riverside or Orange Counties, you may be wondering what your obligations will be under your new status. Understanding these is an essential part of living in the United States. At the U.S. Law Center, our goal is to make the transition as smooth as possible for you.

According to the U.S. Social Security Administration, one of the first things you will need to do as a legal permanent resident is apply for a social security card at the Social Security office. You will need your permanent resident card and your birth certificate when you apply. If you applied for and received a social security number with your visa, you will need to contact the SSA for a replacement card.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, part of abiding by U.S. law is paying taxes. The Internal Revenue Service requires you to file a federal tax return, and California requires that you file a state income tax form, as well. Failing to pay taxes can cause you to lose your status as a permanent resident.

Although you can travel outside the United States and return, certain situations may jeopardize your resident status. For example, if you take up residence in another country, it may be considered abandonment and could delay your eligibility for naturalization, particularly if you are away for one year or more. For more information about what you can expect as a permanent resident of the United States, please visit our website.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Have Questions? Contact Our U.S. Immigration Law Firm

If you would like to discuss your needs with one of our lawyers, please contact us to arrange a free consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available at our Corona office. Our fees are competitive and we accept credit cards.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

Corona Office | 4230 Green River RD. | Corona, CA 92880 | Phone: 310-746-5746 | Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office | 208 E. Carson St. | Suite 203 | Carson, CA 90745 | Phone: 951-808-5342 | Map & Directions

By Appointment Only