U.S. Law Center

How can permanent residents help their spouse get a green card?

When someone is a permanent resident in the U.S., they may enjoy a number of benefits, such as the ability to work and live in the country legally. However, life can be difficult for permanent residents in Corona and throughout California who are unable to see some of their close family members, such as their spouse and children. If you are in this position, it is important to understand your options and closely evaluate the green card application process if you wish to help your spouse obtain a green card so they can join you.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' website outlines the steps that need to be taken for permanent residents who want to help certain relatives obtain a green card. According to the USCIS, the process is different for family members who are already in the United States compared to those who are currently living in another country. Those who are presently in the U.S. could be eligible for a green card if they complete the application process successfully. First, they will have to correctly submit Form I-130. If this form is approved, they can turn in Form I-485, which could allow them to become a permanent resident. Eligible relatives of a permanent U.S. resident who are currently living outside of the U.S. could obtain a green card through consular processing, which requires them to complete Form I-130. If approved, they can obtain permanent residency when they travel to the United States with a visa issued by the U.S. Department of State.

Please keep in mind that this information does not constitute legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact U.S. Law Center

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Corona Office
4230 Green River RD.
Corona, CA 92880

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office
208 E. Carson St.
Suite 203
Carson, CA 90745

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Carson Law Office Map

| |