U.S. Law Center

J-1 exchange visitor visa availabilities and eligibilities

If a person wishes to visit the U.S. for an exchange visitor program, they will first need to obtain a certain type of nonimmigrant visa which will allow them to stay temporarily within the country. For many people of certain professions, the visa that they may need is a J-1 exchange visitor visa.

Exchange visitors come over to the U.S. for jobs or for activities that they would like to learn or participate in. According to the Department of State, a visitor visa is available to any person who holds one of the jobs listed:

  • A government visitor
  • Department of State visitor
  • Intern or trainee
  • Teacher, student, short-term scholar
  • Research scholars and professors
  • Au pair and EduCare

People working in these areas will be able to use their J-1 exchange visitor visa in order to attend classes, seminars, or even teach or work for a temporary amount of time. Travel within the U.S. borders can also be done with this visa.

In order to obtain a J-1 visa, however, there are a few eligibility requirements that must be met. As the Bureau of Consular Affairs has stated, the visa application can only be completed if an applicant passes several requirements first. These requirements can include a proficiency in the English language, medical insurance that matches and program regulations, as well as both an orientation and proper information from any sponsors that are bringing an immigrant over.

Under these stipulations, an immigrant can obtain their J-1 exchange visitor visa and be able to participate in any type of exchange program that they may be eligible for.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact U.S. Law Center

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Corona Office
4230 Green River RD.
Corona, CA 92880

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Corona Law Office Map

Carson Office
208 E. Carson St.
Suite 203
Carson, CA 90745

Toll Free: 877-239-1115
Fax: 951-339-5994
Carson Law Office Map

| |